Thursday, September 15, 2005

Perspective on Eternal Spirit

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Each time we look in a mirror, we choose the lens through which we view ourselves. We choose which aspects of ourselves - of our bodies and of our beings - we focus our attention on. Sometimes we take in our whole figure, or more often, we see ourselves as a collection of individual parts, some of which we classify as "good" and others as "bad" in the moment. Most often, I think, we compare ourselves to an ideal image we hold in our mind. And I think many people spend time wondering if others see us the same way we see ourselves, if they make the same classifications and hold the same judgments.

A young child looks at the world through fresh eyes, seeing, taking it all in, but not judging. As we grow and learn about our world, we develop our own associations. We absorb the notions of beauty, success, strength, accomplishment, failure, and the like which are held by the culture in which we are raised and we internalize the remarks of parents, friends, and even strangers. All of these elements color our view of ourselves.

I think that often people forget that others view us through the filter of their *own* experiences. They bring their own associations to bear on what they see. And I think people also often forget that others also pick up the images each of us projects outward. Those little mental snapshots we take when we look at ourselves in the mirror become part of our energy field and part of our self-definition. Interestingly, we can change others' view of us simply by shifting the images we hold of ourselves.

The next time you look in the mirror, challenge yourself to see yourself anew. Be like a young child and, for a moment, suspend your judgments. Release the very human need to classify and label. Instead, see yourself with an open mind. Ask the universe to send you a higher, truer vision of yourself, then get quiet. If you're lucky, you may just catch a glimpse of the eternal you, the you that exists in spirit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Lately, I have been finding that I run away from my mirrors. I have this full length mirror in my bathroom, and each time I get out of the shower, it's there to greet me. Ugh.

My girlfriend says to me, "You are so beautiful, you are so sexy..." yada yada yada...... and I'm like, "Stop! How can you think that? I'm so ugly!"

People who are on the outside of my relationship see me in a different aspect. They see 'confident Deb'---outoing, bubbly personality, the one who is full of life 'Deb'. How can she be insecure?

I literally want to cry when I look in the mirror. I see someone who is way too heavy, way to white, someone who is hideous. It takes away from my spirit, leaving me depressed sometimes.

No matter how many compliments I get from my girlfriend or any other person, it still doesn't sink in. I feel they are saying that, because I'm the total opposite.

Insecurities run high with me. My low self-esteem hides behind the fake 'high self-esteem'.

Time for therapy now. (ha)

Great post. Very well written. I needed to hear this today.

September 15, 2005  
Blogger aspyre said...

Wisdom & intensity in both faces, direct lineage.

September 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aspyre took what I would have said, had I thought to say that. What I would add, though, is "and peace."

Malibu

September 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home