Friday, July 22, 2005

Youthful Folly

It is wise, I think, to be on guard for careless or rebellious attitudes within one's self that are characteristic of youthful inexperience. And to ask one's self often: are there circumstances in my life, which I have failed to comprehend completely, perhaps because I have failed to appreciate their inherent complexities?

It is my hope that I am always respectful of anything or anyone who has something to teach me.

It is vital to let education be a continuing part of your life. To be continually developing the strong mind and will necessary to carry one through confusing times. The wise realize that experience, especially difficult experience, is a powerful teacher. But one cannot be forced to learn, even from experience. I would be always a good student, one who delights in learning, one who nourishes her expanding awareness.

More time should be spent by people examining their attitudes for factors which limit their openness.

And it is not often that I need remind myself, although I do now, that I must let people live their own lives and learn their own lessons. To remember that I may offer others my wisdom or advice, but only if they are receptive. And that otherwise, I must give up trying to convince them that I am right - that is only exhausting and counter-productive. If people are not receptive, I must let them proceed - even into difficulty or dangerous circumstances or further isolation. It is the only way they can learn - and without learning, no one can achieve success of spirit.

I would have them know, though, that this does not mean that I do not care -- just that I believe that 'taking care' of someone too much can be harmful. For me. And them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home